Thursday, January 8, 2009

Routine meeting?

Tomorrow at 10:00am Tom and I will be the main event at a "Palliative In-service Consultation". The Palliative Care Nurse Practitioner, whom I just met shortly after arriving from work, described it as a "what if" meeting. I need to bring a Power of Attorney and Living Will - oh boy, if that doesn't freak you out then what does?

The other attendees: a physician, that nurse, a social worker, and a chaplain. Yep - you read it right.

I don't really know what to expect - I'm trying to keep positive thoughts. Tom's not at all bothered by this, therefore I'm not making a big deal out of it (although my mind is racing). He says it's just a routine meeting. Maybe he's right. My father said it may be just a legality to protect the medical staff before he's discharged. Funny...they've never required this before.

Tom looks very content. Not angry or sad as in his past hospital stays. He's good company to be around. I look forward to snuggling up with him in his hospital bed tomorrow. He looks forward to going home this week - let's keep our fingers crossed that he does.

Give him a call if you want. I'm sure he would appreciate it.

1 comment:

wiizii said...

I did a little research and it sounds like this is something that will be of great benefit to both you and Tom. According to the literature, these folks specialize in helping the patient and caregivers cope with the illness and any painful or negative side effects. Stress is a big factor and they talk about that too! Lisa, it really seems like it will provide some relief for not only Tom, but also for you as well. I'm thinking this is a positive thing and the more I read, the more I wonder why the doctors have not called in this kind of help before now. It's here now and I hope it will be of great benefit to you both and the immediate family. I also hope you will be able to share some of what you learn. We love ya and miss ya!
Love,
Elise