Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Where do I begin?

A great deal has happened since my last entry. As you know, Tom was discharged from the hospital after his fall down the stairs, with orders to make an appointment with a neurologist, a cardiologist, and his primary care physician. Over the next few days (before any of these appointments) he began to sleep more and more. When he slept 18-20 hours on Saturday I called an advice nurse who told me to take him to the hospital. He was NOT happy when I told him that I was taking him to the hospital but agreed to go at my "crybaby" insistence. He was admitted on January 3rd and is still there.

Here's a breakdown of what's been going on - there's too much to detail:

* blood clot detected in heart because of weak heartbeat unable to pump sufficiently - doctors haven't made it a priority/not much concern
* unable to walk - weak legs - may have something called myelopathy which affects the spine, decreasing the funtionality of the lower extremities - not sure how long it will last - temporary wheelchair anticipated
* injury to two upper discs in spine - he's taking "fun pills" to counteract the pain
* altered state-of-mind for two days - very distant, unable to speak full sentences (he can think, but has trouble verbally expressing his thoughts), full incontinence (not symptomatic of the pain pills)
* suddenly awoke from altered state-of-mind yesteday just like he did during his coma in August
* presently awaiting test results from stem cell extraction done yesterday - hopefully will explain neurological problems

Sorry for the delay, but Tom asked me on the way to the hospital not to post to the blog because he didn't want to concern any of his colleagues. He didn't feel that this warranted any unnecessary attention and asked me to bring his office computer to him. Obviously, I have talked to his colleagues who are still just as understanding and insistent on helping in any way - just as they have been since the beginning. Thanks to everybody at IHG. :-)

He's doing great now - may get discharged this week. I'm going to keep him on a leash when we get home.

2 comments:

Ted said...

I chatted with Tom last night (though I doubt he'll remember). Searched for words, but maintained coherent lines of thought and he still joked around a bit, but definitely the drugs were hitting him hard. Glad to hear that this hospital trip may be overwith soon. Thanks for keeping us updates, Lisa!

wiizii said...

I'm praying for my brother that he will overcome yet another obstacle. I have great confidence in Tom's determination as well. I spoke with him yesterday and he was a little loopy, which I attributed to those "fun pills". We did have a relatively normal conversation and it was a joy to hear his voice. Hang in there! My thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Love ya,
Elise