Saturday, November 8, 2008

Hypoallergenic spending frenzy

Hello everybody!

Everything is about the same here - Tom is feeling fine. A week has passed since he began working, which has been a smooth transition. He's back in the saddle.

He's been sneezing often. When he brought it to the attention of his nurse she said that it's not uncommon for transplant recipients to inherit the same allergies as the donor. I've done a little research and found that autumn is also ragweed season, so hopefully that's all it is.

Well, we bought a fake Christmas tree and it's beautiful! It looks and feels real. It's a 7.5 ft tall "Balsam fir" with 900 white lights. Tom wants to put it up NOW. As tempting as it is, I've had to talk him out of it. We'll probably put it up on Thanksgiving. That's very early but Tom is so excited about the holiday season that it doesn't matter. He has every reason to be excited - he was given the ultimate gift...his life. He's the epitome of a survivor. A month of Christmas decor is fine with me.

Let me tell you a dangerous scenario: a raise in pay from 60% disability to 100% salary + a passport to go out in public + the ability to drive. The sum of all that = spending frenzy! Tom wants to shop and eat out. He buys things like shoes, bandaides, and lamps. Tom's ex, the BBQ platter, has taken a back seat to other foods such as burritos and pizza now that he can go to restaurants. How wonderful!

He's just having fun right now - making up for lost time. I better enjoy it while I can, right? I mean, how many husbands like to go shopping?

8 comments:

Ted said...

I'm with Tom on the Christmas decorations. But Jen won't let me do anything until after Thanksgiving, either. What a couple of Scrooges you two are...

P.S. Tom sounds like he's doing great and we're darn glad to hear it!

Julian said...

I'm very proud (and thankful) of Tom for pulling through, and am glad to hear that things are getting back to normal. :)

Anonymous said...

hey tom this is brian carter glad to see you are getting better keep up the good work. i need to get your address and email i have something i want to mail to you. my email is thecarterz4@gmail.net my wife laura now knows what the term GAP MASTER means. how long ago was that. i guess that was when we went to work at per fect a lawn. have a good thanksgiving and Christmas brian carter

HOTROD said...

hey tom,
Brian Carter again.I got the email wrong.thecarterz4@bellsouth.net or thecarterz4@gmail.com. So one of these is fine.write soon. Brian.

wiizii said...

I love all this continuing great news! Tom, Lisa, you guys relish every moment. I'm very happy for you. Enjoy all that food...YUM! Tom, congrats on your successful first week of work!
Love ya!
Elise

Erin Hill said...

Thank you, God!
Erin and Family

Anonymous said...

Awesome news.. Tom certainly deserves to make up for lost time! Tom, your spirit inspires us all..

Enjoy your family and the joys of the holidays!

Spirit Wood Turner said...

OK, while I'm thrilled he's doing so much better, I'm concerned that pickle juice they've been giving him may have fuzzed up his man genes. I mean, if our wives read this guy LOVES to shop and go shopping, it creates...certain...PROBLEMS in our own families!

So Tom, buddy, come back into the light!!! Don't succumb to the dark side!!!! Someday it will be too late, and you'll be nothing more than a burro for your wife's (your Darling wife, that is) shopping excursions into that deep, dark...MALL!

Very glad to hear you're reintroducing yourself to the wide world of take out food, though. After my little mishap and 6 weeks in the hospital, I could not get enough greasy Mexican food. And BBQ was of course a necessity, I think for well-established medical reasons.

Stay well and look forward to the Holidays, and gladly gaining 10 lbs.!!!

Dale