Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Grade B

If I had to grade Tom right now on his health, I believe I would have to give him a B-. He has been very shaky lately. He believes the reason is that he is no longer taking steroids. He was tapered off of them two weeks ago but it took a week for his body to completely eliminate them. It seems that this has happened each of the three times that he has stopped taking steroids in the past. He gets tremors in his hands and he is not as steady on his feet. He can get around and up and down the stairs, but not as upright and fast as he has been. He's not driving currently (at my request).

I've suggested that he contact his doctor and ask him if he can continue the use of steroids but then taper off of them more slowly - over the course of a month or even two.

He's enjoying being back to work - working on weekends even. That has always been like Tom - giving 110% to a task. He's a very thorough and dedicated person in all respects of life: husband, father, friend, employee.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been away from the blog for a few weeks. It's great to hear that Tom is doing well!!!! I'm so happy! He looks great in the pictures!

friendlymentor said...

I'm sure it will take several months for Tom's health issues and nervous system to even out. After such a lengthy attack, who would expect him to bounce into full recovery in just a month or two?

It is amazing to watch his progress though. We can all put ourselves in his place and imagine what it would be like to be overcoming a setback such as this. It takes over twice the energy to come back from sick to well as it does to stay well. Patience is key. Enjoy what you can of the mission and the ride

A is A said...

Hi, Tom & Lisa,
I've been away for 3 weeks - my long anticipated 3 week Belgian tour of the Battle of the Bulge. I'll send you a photo CD, but it may take me until Spring to get it together.

Tom, it's great to see you with hair again and filling out some. Best news is that you can spend time at your work again. Means the world, doesn't it?

I'm making my Thanksgiving weekend mission to go down to Fisherman's Wharf and find you a hooded sweatshirt that is ANY color but black!!! LOL You need some color, boy!!

Stay the course, Tom. I'm so glad it's going your way. Best to you all, xxoo BK