Monday, August 18, 2008

Free as a bird

Tom is back home again - he was discharged at 2:30 today. The nurse wheeled him from the hospital room all the way to the car door, so I didn't get to see him walk until we got home. I didn't know what to expect, recalling the tumble he took when getting out of the car last time, but he did much better than I expected. He was able to stand up alone, unfold his walker and walk to the front door by himself (that includes walking up two stairs). I shadowed him - prepared to catch him - but he did fine all by himself.

He's very happy and hungry! I'm going to make red beans and rice with andouille sausage for dinner, at his request. Currently, he's munching on some pizza that Katie ordered after school. What an appetizer, eh?

6 comments:

Julian said...

Welcome home Tom! Glad that you're back, and happy that you've passed the 100 day mark. This is very encouraging. :)

friendlymentor said...

Amazing - simply amazing!!! I asked Tom yesterday what was going to keep him out of the hospital in the future. He said that he honestly didn't know, but if they get his meds right, and it seems like the docs have balanced them now, maybe he will only go back for outpatient services.
We are all so relieved over this. Looking forward to many more years of enjoyable chats with Sir Thomas. Tom, clean your plate. lol.
By the way, Tom came over to our house in 1994 to help us sign up for this new thing called the Internet. It ran on Unix and was pretty difficult, especially on a Mac. It took us 7 days to get on and then we didn't know what to do with it but go to NASA's website and one about Chernobyl.
So our web surfing addictions are all Tom's fault. :-)
This is a joyous occasion. A new chapter.

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!!! You go boy!! I'm so glad to hear about Tom's progress. I hope he stays hungry and I hope that things keep getting better.

Erin Hill said...

I am doing a happy dance. Yeah - yippee! Hooray! There are no words adequate enough for how I feel!
love, erin

Futurer said...

Tom, welcome home! Happy 100th Day!

wiizii said...

Nothing like great news to brighten the day! I'm very happy for all of you, especially Tom! It's all very exciting on your end, I'm sure. Take it easy, Tom, and don't overdo. Lisa, the red beans and rice sound just yummy!!! After all, Monday is the traditional day to eat red beans and rice or at least it is in my area of the country. Eat up!
Love,
Elise