Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Day one at home

I took the first week of school off but I have returned to work. We have a couple of family members - Tom's father during the first week and then my aunt during the second - sitting with Tom during the day. His mobility has really improved since he was in the hospital. I think just being at home makes it easier, plus he's not hooked up to the IV station. Getting out of bed to walk while he was in the hospital was such an ordeal - he had to put slippers on, put a special gown on, a mask, gloves, get the walker ready, and get someone to push his IV station next to him. Now he can just get off the couch and walk around on carpet at his leisure. He also has a stationary bike nearby.

When Tom told me on his last day in the hospital that he wouldn't need anyone around after next week I didn't completely share his enthusiasm. Put it this way - I wasn't going to let that happen (you would have agreed with me had you seen him). However, I'm beginning to agree with him as I see his stability improve and his confidence rise.

7 comments:

Chris - 9of 9 said...

I'm happy to know that Tom is at home and back with Scout and Daisy. I know they missed him yelling at them to understand 'stay' and 'no'. Bless their hearts.

I'll keep in touch to see where i can help out, God knows Tom is too headstrong for his own good.

Lisa Carter said...

Our doggies aren't home yet - they've been chillin' with the 10-acre clan all summer.

TLSumner said...

Way to go Tom!

Mike Smith said...

looks like you found the thing that motivates Tom... having family member spending the days with him. I love my family but to spend day in and day out with some of them would make me do anything to have them leave.

Erin Hill said...

As always - thank YOU, God. I am so gald to hear more good news. It makes me feel at ease on so many levels for so many people.

Love, Erin

wiizii said...

Nothing makes me happier right now than to know that Tom is showing continued improvement. That's the best news. Lisa, I hope you are doing well, also. You're back at work, which I hope is another step towards some normalcy in your lives. Upwards and onwards!
Love, Hugs,
Elise

P.S.
Mike, you do have a point. I'm sure Tom is having some interesting discussions with our father. There may even be a few debates this week between the two of them. Hopefully, they will steer clear of politics and religion! Ha..ha..

Daniel said...

Well that's just nifty. ;) Way to go buddy. I'll be back in the spring and we;ll go to Moe's for a burrito. All the best . . .