Thursday, February 17, 2011

Here's to Tom

Thanks to everyone who came to the viewing last night, and thanks to everybody else, who I know were with us in heart and spirit. It was good to see, and a great way for me to take my mind off of everything (there are many little tasks to do when one's loved one passes away). I've read all of your comments on my blog, as well as Facebook, but talking in person was very uplifting.

I realize some of you may be having a difficult time, but I hope that eventually you will be able to release your sadness to the best you can, and instead be relieved and joyful that Tom is no longer suffering. As you know, I was with him during his illness for the last 3.5 years including the last month, when his existence changed into an unending suffering, from which he seemed to have no relief. Even though it hurts like hell to have to part with him, I can't tell you how glad I am that he is comfortable and has moved on to a peaceful eternity.

Tom has told me in the past on a few occasions that even though death is difficult to understand and comprehend, he wanted us to try and be resilient rather than sad. He actually said that he wanted us all to have a party, drink some libations, listen to some Grateful Dead, and celebrate his life. Here's to Tom!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock on tom! I can hear him saying this!
Let's make a joyful noise to celebrate his life
these are comforting words for all of us. G bug

Ted said...

That sounds like Tom, Lisa. He has always been positive and upbeat and that's how we should remember and celebrate him. I'm flying up tomorrow and will put GD's Europe '72 on the iPod for the trip in honor of my friend.

(Tom- I hope you don't mind if I skip the Donna tunes... miss you, buddy.)

Unknown said...

Lisa, sorry I couldn't make the service last night, but still planning on being at the house Saturday to help out. And we have quite a selection of libations and GD to share :)