Monday, June 14, 2010

Greedy doctors

I was researching the doctors that own the Blood and Marrow Transplant of Georgia (BMTGA), which is where Tom underwent his stem cell transplant. I don't know why I decided to do this. I guess maybe because periodically we get angry at those doctors and wonder if they made a mistake somewhere along the way. I wanted to see if any of them had a history of malpractice. Well, I came across an interesting document: the doctors from BMTGA, who also own AtlantaBlood Services (ABS), along with Northside Hospital where Tom has spent many, many days as a patient over the last three years were found guilty of violating the False Claims Act against Medicare. I'll let you read it for yourselves:

www.justice.gov/usao/gan/press/2006/10-20-06b.pdf

Ok, so it has nothing to do with patient care, but still it's unsettling to us to think of the greed that these doctors possessed. Is this a trait that one would overlook in selecting a medical provider? Given a choice I would have looked elsewhere. Unfortunately, there is no other place in our area that is covered by our insurance provider.

I just found that interesting and thought I would share it with you.

Tom is sooooo down. He's so sad and discouraged. He talks grimly. He's so fed up with taking his medicine. He's ready to risk stopping them. He wants to know if the meds are keeping him from recoving. I'm on the fence about the idea but I'm leaning toward stopping them. I mean, are those doctors keeping him on the drugs to cover their asses (they are in no position to take a risk), or do they really care about his future and plan to taper them eventually? It seems that whenever Tom consults them they enter the room in their perfectly pressed white medical coats, ask how he's doing, and tell him to stay on the drug regimen indefinitely. Five minutes total: "Hello, how are you? [jot down notes] Ok, your test results look fine, keep taking your medicine. Your legs? Well, they might be permanently disabled - we'll monitor them. See you in six months".

Can you sense my level of frustration? Yes, it's high. Don't worry - I stay positive in Tom's presence. Thank you for "listening" to me rant and rave. You guys are a great support!

2 comments:

Richard said...

Lisa and Tom,
I think about you often. I too had my awakening moments where I realized that the medical system is full of frauds. I know that these doctors have gone to school a long time, but I also know that they think they own people's bodies and they have no qualms about charging people a lot of money or prescribing the most expensive treatments.

I ended my treatment in 2004 by making up my mind that this is my body and I am no longer interested in putting a lot of different kinds of pills into it. Over the long run, I was right. I avoided any more doctors, I did what I know in my own mind is right for me, and although I'm not always right, I just had a blood test last month that showed the best health results ever.

You have to go with your gut instincts. When the doctors have done all they can, please realize that they have done all they can. And don't allow them to do any more. Live with yourselves and bring yourselves back to where you want to be. That's my advice. Use the power of your minds to heal this problem.

At some point you have to discriminate between "healing" and "the USA health system."

We want the best for you and your family. At first when adversity strikes, you look to people who know better than you. After a while, you come to understand that those people no longer know better than you. They don't live at your house, they don't work and play with you, they can only give you an outside opinion.

Once I realized that these people called doctors live a much better paid life and are bent upon using my insurance to pay for more of their on-going priviledges, I divorced them.

If you need them, use them. If you aren't gaining any benefits, go your own way.

Lisa Carter said...

Thank you for your comment, Richard. Tom and I found it to be very inspirational.