Friday, August 8, 2008

Update

Yesterday, Tom's father and I had a meeting with the doctor. He told us that the a few white blood cells were detected in Tom spinal fluid. The only reason white blood cells would be present is to ward off infection. So, they were concerned about that. He ordered a contrast MRI of his brain which showed no sign of a stroke, a tumor, clot, cancer, or anything abnormal. He did say to remain hopeful because there is a chance that things could turn around. I suppose that's because he doesn't know exactly what happening. It's a day to day situation.

Today, Tom had another contrast MRI except it was for his spine. The results for that are not available yet. I don't know what they can do if this MRI shows nothing wrong. They seem baffled.

This has been a MUCH better day for Tom. He was awake from 10am - 5pm. He was looking around, in a daze, he was able to respond to simple questions, and he was even able to move his "paralized" arm a little. His fine motor skills are way off, but just moving it really made the nurses happy. They said the doctors will be impressed.

Like I said, he can answer simple questions but it takes him several seconds to take in the info. He gets frustrated because he can't form words. I can tell that he understands most of what people are saying, he just can't reply. Yes or no questions make it less frustrating.

He was emotional for a while this morning - teary eyes, sadness, helplessness. We had some very special conversations. Whenever I'm with him I am always optimistic and casual. I think that being casual helps reduce his anxiety. I think he can sense when something's not quite right. I told him that his sisters, who live out of town, were coming to visit this weekend. He looked a little worried, as if was thinking, 'Why would they come from out of state to see me. There must be something wrong.' I quickly said, "They're coming in town to help your dad with something around his house and they want to stop by and see you some time this weekend." He looked a little relieved. They are coming soley to see Tom, though.

More later.

4 comments:

TLSumner said...

Lisa,
The doctor saying to be hopeful is such a good thing to hear. I have LOTS and LOTS of hope!

Please tell Tom we said hi and I'm looking forward to fulfilling his request for my apple pie. :=)

Let us know if non-family visitors would be welcomed.

Sending positive thoughts and prayers your way.

Love,
tosha

wiizii said...

That is certainly encouraging news. I can't wait to talk to Tom. I am hoping to pop in tomorrow for a visit. Tell Tom I'll hold off on my backgammon challenge for now. Ha! Ha! You're all in my thoughts & prayers.
Love ya,
Elise

jadiec said...

I'm with Tosha! We love you guys.

My prayers and huge hope and love are with you.

Love,
Jessica

Ted said...

Sounds like some hopeful news here, Lisa. I just caught up on everything and can't believe how quickly things change with Tom's condition. Jen, Charlotte and I remain positive and optimistic. Don't forget how strong (and stubborn) Tom is! We are holding onto our collective hope that this is a step towards recovery. Stay strong. -Ted & Family