Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Stroke

The radiologist determined that Tom did, in fact, have a stroke. They are not yet sure if it was caused by a drug reaction. The doctor will have more info in determining the cause once he gets the results from the MRI which was taken earlier. He has had minor seizures periodically.

Tom is not talking or opening his eyes. He moves his left arm around slowly every now and then. He can open his eyes in slits when the nurse talks close to his face real loudly. She really bothers him I can tell. She's one of the kindest nurses I've ever met but I don't think Tom likes it when she yells questions in his face: "MR. CARTER, DO YOU KNOW WHAT DAY IT IS?" "DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?" "MR. CARTER?" "MR. CARTER?" "MR. CAAAARTER? WHAT'S MY NAME?" He finally said, "Piss off!". So I guess that's a good sign. Hey, they're words, right?

Every now and then he'll reach for my hand to hold. When we are alone I talk to him as if he were coherent. I don't know what he's thinking. He might be able to hear me. He may understand me but not be able to respond. So I just talk - keeping him updated on the family and the world. I even joke around bit, trying to get a wee little smile out of him. Today I sang Stand By Your Man in the best country accent I could muster. He looked at me briefly. He was probably thinking either, 'That was a very appropriate song. I love your silly side', or 'Please shut up'.

Only two visitors at a time are allowed in ICU. There is really no reason to visit unless you feel it would be therapeutic in some way. I am doing fine right by his side. I've always heard that there is a reason for everything. I can't quite grasp that yet. I guess many of those reasons are flat out mysteries.

8 comments:

Erin Hill said...

Thank you for posting so quickly and texting. I cannot wait to see Tom this weekend and it does not matter what kind of visit I might get with him. Anything is better than nothing. He is my brother, you know. I might could be of some help to you or Katie too. Love, Erin

friendlymentor said...

This certainly sounds scary, Lisa. Those are some symptoms of stroke but since we are not doctors, it could be all kinds of other things too. Let's hope it is a very temporary flashback into something that will get better.

So sorry you all are facing this, let's just hope it is a necessary step towards getting better :-)

friendlymentor said...

People can fully recover from a stroke provided they receive medical attention quickly. It sounds like your doctors are right there watching. My dad had a stroke but recovered in a few weeks because he was treated within a few hours.
You are doing all the right things, Lisa. Maybe you need the company more than Tom does.
We are pulling for you both!

Love, Norma and Richard

wiizii said...

I appreciate the post, also. I've been so worried about you both. I just know Tom is going to pull out of this. I had to chuckle about his reponse to the nurse. Knowing my brother, it seems like a perfectly logical response to me. I'm not going to come to Atlanta just yet. I desperately want to see Tom, but I'm going to remain optimistic and wait until he's either back in a regular room or back home. Lisa, please be sure that you take care of yourself and get some rest. :) Love you guys!
Love,
Elise

testWillC said...

Lisa, Words cannot express how much we care for you, Tom, and Katie. You are in our hearts and we are praying that today will be a strong and positive day for Tom. Thank you for your posts.

Love,
Will and Patty

Shelley said...

Yeah, I didn't understand why the doctor kept saying "Mr. Carter",I would think that "Tom" would be a little more appropriate. When people say "Ms. Henry" I don't immediately think of myself, because I'm always called "Shelley". I actually think of our Mom first. Last names seem so formal and old fashioned.

Shelley said...

Yeah, I didn't understand why the doctor kept saying "Mr. Carter". I would think that "Tom" would be more appropriate. When people say "Ms. Henry" I don't immediately think of myself, because I'm always called "Shelley". Even at my work everyone is always on a first name basis. Last names seem so formal and old fashioned.

Spirit Wood Turner said...

Lisa, know this. We don't have all the answers, so how could you, especially with all the emotions you and Katie are feeling. I'm a bit hesitant to share this in the open, but after my plane crash, when I was near the bottom of Lake Erie, I opened my eyes, and my departed Mother was right in front of me. I wasn't delirious, as I write this I remember the freezing water in my ears, the water visibility was poor, but there she was. The point is, the journey goes on, even with sadness and pain. Your obvious love for Tom and Katie won't end anytime, no matter the results of Tom's unfortunate situation. My comments can't make it easier, but I have unshakeable evidence that Spirit is the power over form, and Tom's spirit is a powerful one. So is yours. Stay with that. And the same goes for the entire family that so obviously loves Tom and you and Katie.

I met you both so briefly, but something from our meeting touched me. Thank you for letting me reach out to you in this hard time, and tell Tom I'm saying affirmative thoughts to you all. He'll hear you.

Hugs,
Dale