Thursday, February 10, 2011

Good Morning

I've just returned home after a long, restless night. Tom was experiencing some pain, and was asking me where he was, and why he was there. He said he was cold and wanted to be in his own bed. He said he couldn't take it anymore. I asked the nurse to relieve his pain a little but she said all she could do was to give him and anti-anxiety med to relax him a little.

The nurse woke me up around 6 and told me that she was going to secure a sitter to watch Tom 24/7. She said he pulled his feeding tube out a few times during the night and that she felt that he didn't know that he was doing it. Although he was pulling with his hand, he didn't know it, he was just making himself comfortable. It's dangerous because the tube has to be reinserted each time and the tube could crimp or not reach it's intended destination inside his body. They can't take an x-ray everytime he removes it, obviously.

My sister-in-law, Erin is visiting from Spartanburg. She and I are taking turns staying with Tom. I should take this opportunity to thank our families. Tom's father and step-mother have stayed with Tom almost every day for the last four weeks, while I was at work. My mom has also visited and brought him things to make him more comfortable. My dad has been supportive and was present the last time Tom was taken to the hospital via ambulance. Every single member of our families wait with baited breath for any ounce of information, and any chance to assist us. Thanks everybody - we couldn't do this without your help. We love ya'll!

One more person to thank - Katha Stuart. Even though we aren't family, she helps us out as if we were such. She is there on the spot whenever we call upon her. As I mentioned yesterday, I was so worried about Tom. I called Katha immediately and asked her to bring Katie to the hospital. Once there, she offered to take my leave forms downtown for me. She is such a big help, especially when it comes to Katie. She takes Katie under her wing and treats Katie as if she were one of her own. Thank you, Katha. You are a Godsend!

1 comment:

Eloise said...

Lisa, no thanks necessary for Richard and I. We will be there if God's willing. You, Tom and Katie are part of our family. We love you very much.