Friday, October 16, 2009

Looking forward

I don't know whether excitement or nervousness is taking over me lately as we look forward to NYC. I have always wanted to visit New York City - here I am at 40 finally going but not for the length or the purpose I had always planned. We don't usually leave Katie behind when we do anything, but we decided that since it's such a short trip and on a school night we would go by ourselves. It's nice being alone sometimes...very relaxing. I wish we had planned for two nights.

During our short day and a half trip we will not be doing much as you can imagine, because lots of walking is usually involved in sight-seeing. I thought we might go to the Empire State Building but I've found out that one usually has to wait in line for two hours before entering.

While we are there we want to eat at a few popular delis and pizzarias (we have spent many years watching the Travel Channel and the Food Network and have noted countless reviews). I also want to take a horse-drawn carriage ride around Central Park. For those of you who don't already know, as I did not until recently, Central Park is 843 acres. It's a vital organ of the city, with lots to see and do.

I'm sure we'll spend a lot of time at the hotel because it's so beautiful in itself.

I guess I'm not thinking about the ultimate purpose of the trip right now. I'm letting myself off the hook for now and planning a fun trip.

1 comment:

Ashley McMaster said...

I have been following your blog for about a year. I work with Steve Masters at SmartBrief, and when I originally started following your ordeal, I was working remotely in Atlanta. After reading about your trip to New York -- where I've spent a lot of time -- I wanted to share with you that you should visit the Top of the Rock at the Rockefeller Center. It has a better view than the Empire State building, and you won't have to wait as long. Best of luck.