Wednesday, September 30, 2009

September

Well, I'd planned on posting at least once per month just to keep the lines open. This morning I realized that today is the last day in September and I had better post before bedtime. Little did I know I'd be writing this after returning home from a long evening at the hospital with Tom. This evening around 5:00 Tom told me that something wasn't quite right with his vision - when he typed he said he couldn't see his hand, but when he looked at it it was there (I don't know if that has something to do with his peripheral vision or not). Then he felt hot, although he didn't have a fever. His body would tighten up on his right side every few minutes, and his speech wasn't normal - he had trouble finding words here and there. He was in the middle of typing an email and he asked me if it made sense which it did. When he read it out loud he had trouble pronouncing a few of the words. Next came a tremendous headache. Finally, I had to ignore Tom's pleading and call an ambulance.

The doctor, nurse, and technicians each did their parts - poked, prodded, asked lots of questions, x-rayed, and took notes. No one seemed too concerned. Tom was more concerned than usual. He shed a few tears and said "I don't know what's happening. What's going on with me? I'm so tired of all this."

When I finally left (I went home to tend to Katie), Tom was fast asleep. On the way out of the ER the very nice doctor stopped me and told me he would call me when he had any news, and he verified my number (that's rare for a doctor to go out of the way like that, at least in my experience).

At this point all I know is that the doctor said Tom's "little episode" was not anything to worry too much about. He is going to talk to Tom's neurologist about the situation, study the CT scan, and take an MRI. The MRI will be the most revealing.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Sounds scary -- I hope the doctor is right.

Anonymous said...

I hope the doctor is right too. At least the doctor was compassionate and caring, which I agree, is not necessarily common these days for a lot of us in medical situations. I know this setback is tough on Tom but I'm hoping he won't let it get the best of him. He will get through this, I'm sure. He's tough and oh so stubborn. I love ya Tom!
Elise
I may have to post this as anonymous if I cannot remember my password. :(

Daniel said...

Hang in there buddy.